Students in kindergarten are assessed throughout the school year on the Georgia Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills 2.0 (GKIDS 2.0). GKIDS 2.0 is a progression-based formative assessment, integrated into classroom work, that is aligned to the Georgia Standards of Excellence (GSE). This ongoing, performance based assessment is designed to assist teachers in planning instruction throughout the school year in four academic areas:
- English Language Arts
- Social Studies;
Assessment information is also generated from three non-academic domains:
- Personal/Social Development
- Approaches to Learning
- Motor Skills
Results provide ongoing diagnostic information about kindergartens students’ developing skills and serves as one measure of a student’s readiness for first grade.
GKIDS 2.0 is organized around big ideas and learning progressions.
- A big idea describes the integration of concepts and skills from the kindergarten standards that are most important for success in first grade.
- A learning progression shows where the student is in the learning continuum of content and reasoning development regarding the big idea from the GSE.
- Learning progressions provide the big picture of what is to be learned across the year, relate increased reasoning of standards within the grade and across grades, and support instructional planning.
For the 2020-2021 school year, the district test administration window is August 17, 2020 – May 17, 2021.
GKIDS 2.0 Assessment Summary
GKIDS 2.0 provides teachers with one source of real-time information to adjust instruction, by identifying what a student already knows, what the student needs next, and by allowing the teacher to monitor growth.
The following information provides a summary of the GKIDS 2.0 big ideas and learning progressions and will be helpful to you as you prepare your child for this test administration.
You will be provided with additional information throughout the school year as student data is available. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact your school for more information.GKIDS-2.0 Assessment Research, Development and Administration
GKIDS Readiness Check
The GKIDS Readiness Check is a new component of GKIDS 2.0 that takes place during the first six weeks of school. It is designed to assist kindergarten teachers in planning instruction and meeting the needs of individual students by providing information about the skills of students entering kindergarten.
GKIDS Readiness Check is only utilized by teachers to guide instruction.
There are several resources available to help support your child during the GKIDS Readiness Check administration window. See the Parent Flyers for additional information.
GKIDS Readiness Check Parent Flyer
The GKIDS Readiness Check Parent Flyer was developed by the Georgia Department of Education to help parents better understand the purpose of the assessment.
GKIDS 2.0 Parent Resources
The Georgia Department of Education has designed two sites to support parents.
Families can use the GKIDS 2.0 site to:
- Learn more about GKIDS 2.0 and how it will impact your child
- Become familiar with the knowledge and skills on which your child will be assessed
- Find ideas to help support your child’s learning at home
- Understand your child’s progress through the Individual Student Report
Please use the following link to access this site.https://gkidsparent.gadoe.org/Pages/Home.aspx
Families can use the GKIDS Readiness Check site to:
- Learn more about the GKIDS Readiness Check and how it will impact your child
- Access information and videos about the 20 skills on which your child will be assessed
- Find activities to help support your child’s learning and development at home
Please use the following link to access this site.http://gkidsreadinesscheck.gadoe.org/
GKIDS 2.0 Contact Information
For more information regarding the administration of Georgia Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (GKIDS) in the DeKalb County School District, please contact: